XST: Extended Set Theory

This forum is for anything about Rel that isn't more appropriate elsewhere.
therandthem

XST: Extended Set Theory

Post by therandthem »

Hello, my name is McKinley. I have been studying the relational data model for a few years. I have been following Rel development since the beginning. I recently watched the video which I found very informative. At the prompting of the video, I started to investigate Extended Set Theory (XST).

I want to discuss what your findings are on XST as discussed here and here. It is simple enough to understand that it helps formalize data structures beyond Classic Set Theory (CST). What can it do, however, to replace indexing? That part is lost on me, but I will keep looking for answers. Not much is written at this point.

Kind Regards,

McKinley
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

My apologies for the delay in responding...

I'm not sure XST can replace indexing, at least not universally. However, it may provide a suitable basis for implementing index data structures such as BTREEs, hash tables, and the like.

I suspect some XST operators may internally benefit from indexes in order to optimise performance, but it remains to be seen whether these will have to be implemented as primitives, or whether they can be optimally composed from primitive, non-indexed XST operators.
mrankin

Re: XST: Extended Set Theory

Post by mrankin »

Can somebody post a link to the video? I'd like to see it.

Cheers!
Dave
Site Admin

Re: XST: Extended Set Theory

Post by Dave »

Unfortunately, the video was lost from the server some time ago during an upgrade. I might still have a copy of it somewhere, but it's somewhat outdated now. I'll probably create a new one at some point.