Automatic error logging - report 157?

This forum is to report technical problems with Rel.
Chris Walton

Automatic error logging - report 157?

Post by Chris Walton »

Further to the recently automatically submitted error log, I am getting the following message when I start up Rel.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (21.53 KiB) Viewed 21320 times
Even though it reports an error the Browser does start - seemingly OK. In addition starting Rel (using DBrowser.bat) starts the monitor but I have to manually start the Browser from the monitor.

Chris
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Automatic error logging - report 157?

Post by Dave »

Curious. I haven't seen that before.

I'd suggest backing up your database, then delete the database directory, then restore the backup.
Chris Walton

Post by Chris Walton »

I think the problems I am having with start up are something to do with the configuration of my machine or JVM.

On investigating it, I have incidentally found some odd behaviour on start up. My database is found in a directory with quite a long pathname. I started DBrowser using only part of the pathame, and subsequently called it building up the pathname stage by stage. The results I got, with the following command line commands, were:
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\ - Started DBrowser normally, creating a database if one did not exist; using an existing database if present
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\Users\ - Ditto
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\Users\Chris\ - Ditto
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\Users\Chris\AppData\ - Ditto
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\ - Ditto
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Rel\ - Rel monitor starts with the error detailed in the original automatic error posting; starts DBrowser; displays the error dialog box displayed in my previous message; once the OK button is pressed presents a further error message:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.17 KiB) Viewed 21309 times
; once this OK button is pressed DBrowser appears to operate completely normally, though with no database loaded - I have to open my database explicitly using a path name of the form local:C:\Users\Chris\Documents\System Developments
At this point I realised that the oddity might lie in the fact that I was trying to open a database in the same directory as Rel, so I tried the following:
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\Users\Chris\ - OK as described above
java -jar DBrowser.jar -fC:\Users\Chris\Documents\ - Error opening as described, except that it does not give the second error message.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

Are there old Rel databases in the problem directories that it might be failing to load?
Chris Walton

Post by Chris Walton »

Yes, the problem directories do have existing databases, in subdirectory Database. Deleting this subdirectory and restarting Rel makes no difference to the error reporting. Again once the error messages have been OKed, a database can be opened (or created) and things carry on as normal.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

Are you sure the version of JRE (Jave Runtime Edition) is the same version as the JDK you're running?
Chris Walton

Post by Chris Walton »

Clearing down ALL the databases and recreating the relevant ones seems to have done the trick. I have not re-checked the JDK and JRE versions but when I started this thread I had got different versions and had to upgrade JDK.
Chris Walton

Post by Chris Walton »

The problem seems to have been that multiple updates of JRE and JDK had left my system variables and paths in a mess, pointing to multiple, incompatible versions of the programs. I have now (more or less) sorted out these configuration problems, and thus removed all the problems with Rel. Thanks for the helpful questions.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

Glad to hear it's working now!