Rel interface: Having to scroll to the bottom to add a tuple

Forum for discussing DBrowser, the interactive front-end for Rel.
HughDarwen

Rel interface: Having to scroll to the bottom to add a tuple

Post by HughDarwen »

I love the recent improvements to the "Rel" interface but here's a tiny wish. When editing a base relvar, any chance of having the blank row for entering a new tuple at the top rather than the bottom? It would save me from having to scroll to the bottom every time, and I have to use the scroll bar for that purpose because ctrl+end doesn't work.

Hugh Darwen
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Rel interface: Having to scroll to the bottom to add a tuple

Post by Dave »

Clicking the "Go to INSERT row" button was supposed to do what Ctrl-End should do, and neither of them do it.

That's a bug. I'll fix that.

Would that be sufficient, or would you prefer the blank row at the top as well?

Psychologically, I find the blank row at the top a bit disconcerting, as it seems like something's missing. But maybe that's just me.
HughDarwen

Post by HughDarwen »

Sorry for the delay. I forgot to chase this one.

I see your point about a blank row at the top. Yes, fixing that bug would be fine for me. Thanks.

Hugh
HughDarwen

Post by HughDarwen »

I was pleased with the way my request in 2017 was dealt with, but when I asked for it I did so in connection with "edit". Over the past seven years I've frequently had to use ctrl+home when simply displaying the contents of a relvar (base or virtual) with no intention to add, delete, or update. I know it takes only a second, but nevertheless, starting at the top is by far the most likely preference for everybody, partly because you immediately see the attribute names and types. Very often I'm flipping between Rel and command line, needing the names and types to help me draft a command or query.

So, any chance of having cake as well as eating it? Bottom for Edit, top for Show.

Hugh
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

That seems reasonable. I'll add it to my to-do list.