Changing the default database in Rel and DBrowser

Forum for discussing DBrowser, the interactive front-end for Rel.
Dave
Site Admin

Changing the default database in Rel and DBrowser

Post by Dave »

Unfortunately, I had the permissions set incorrectly on this forum topic so folks couldn't post. I'm posting the following response to a question sent to me via email, that had been intended for this forum:

DBrowser has a means to set the database directory, but I've realised I didn't document it anywhere outside of the software itself! I followed a standard convention for obtaining the docs on the command-line switches.

To get the command-line switch docs for DBrowser, type:

Code: Select all

java -jar DBrowser.jar -?
This also works for Rel.jar. E.g.:

java -jar Rel.jar -?
To tell DBrowser to use a database in a particular directory, type (for example):

java -jar DBrowser.jar -fc:\RelData\MyFirstDatabase
To tell DBrowser not to use any database by default, type:

java -jar DBrowser.jar -f
All the provided .jar files must reside in the same directory, along with the Scripts subdirectory and its contents in order for the Backup button to work. The assumption is that this will be the installation directory. By using the '-f' option described above, you can set the default database to be in any directory you like.

You can, of course, edit the DBrowser.bat (or Rel.bat, as appropriate) file to include the above switches.
HughDarwen

Re: Changing the default database in Rel and DBrowser

Post by HughDarwen »

Thank you, Dave. This will be very useful to me, now that I know about it!

I made a lot of trouble for myself by having spaces in my directory name. I eventually remembered to use double quotes around the entire path. You might want to mention that requirement when you document this feature.

Hugh
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Changing the default database in Rel and DBrowser

Post by Dave »

HughDarwen wrote:I eventually remembered to use double quotes around the entire path. You might want to mention that requirement when you document this feature.
Good point! I shall do so. I never use spaces in directory names due to the problems they cause (AllMyDirectoryNamesLookSomewhatLikeThis), so I easily forget that others are fond of using them.