Scripts previously included in package

This forum is for discussing the development of Rel examples and sample applications.
HughDarwen

Scripts previously included in package

Post by HughDarwen »

What's happened to the scripts previously provided as OperatorsChar.d, etc.? I have successfully loaded and compiled OperatorsChar.d so I suppose the ones I used in V1.0.12 all still work, but new users won't see these and in any case I also suppose the extension should now be .rel.

The change to .rel has been a bit inconvenient for me because "Load file" default type(s) is .Rel files and has to be changed to All files to make the .d's appear. I've got a lot of renaming to do! (Just a friendly grumble, no action requested, even from the person who originally coined "D" as a generic language name!

Related question:

If I open a .rel (or .d) file with Rel.exe, how does Rel know which database to open? I would expect to have to include some kind of "connect" or "open" command in the script.

Hugh
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Scripts previously included in package

Post by Dave »

HughDarwen wrote:What's happened to the scripts previously provided as OperatorsChar.d, etc.? I have successfully loaded and compiled OperatorsChar.d so I suppose the ones I used in V1.0.12 all still work, but new users won't see these and in any case I also suppose the extension should now be .rel.
It's in a separate download called RelExamples_3.xxx.zip where xxx is the version number. The specific file in the .zip is UsefulOperatorsAndViews.rel, which includes what used to be OperatorsChar.d, OperatorsMath.d, and so on. I should make it clearer, somewhere near where the files are downloaded, that the RelExamples_3.xxx.zip not only contains examples but these useful operators and views too.
HughDarwen wrote:The change to .rel has been a bit inconvenient for me because "Load file" default type(s) is .Rel files and has to be changed to All files to make the .d's appear. I've got a lot of renaming to do! (Just a friendly grumble, no action requested, even from the person who originally coined "D" as a generic language name!
There are various software packages that use a .d extension which caused annoying ambiguity over file associations if you installed other software packages that shared the extension, such as Digital Mars's well-known D programming language. Using .rel as an extension is unambiguous (I don't think anything else uses the extension .rel), and it's clear to users that a .rel file belongs to the Rel application, an association that wasn't clear with the .d extension.
HughDarwen wrote:If I open a .rel (or .d) file with Rel.exe, how does Rel know which database to open? I would expect to have to include some kind of "connect" or "open" command in the script.
If you open a .rel (or .d) file by clicking on it or dragging it onto Rel.exe it always opens a new tab with the default database, under the assumption that you'll then copy it to a different database if needed.
HughDarwen

Re: Scripts previously included in package

Post by HughDarwen »

Thanks for the replies, which are all very good as far as I'm concerned. I should have got a trade mark for D! (assuming it wasn't used already before 1994) :)

Your treatment of .d and .rel files dropped on to Rel.exe is just fine. Why didn't I just try it? Sorry.

Hugh