multiple assignment problem

This forum is to report technical problems with Rel.
HughDarwen

multiple assignment problem

Post by HughDarwen »

Against the database that I'll send a backup of privately (because can't get "upload attachment" to work), the following two multiple assignments are equivalent but only the first one works. In version 2, the first line inserts the empty set even though the given expression evaluates to the same relation as that shown as a literal in 1.

insert ComposedBy rel{tup{Problem# '095a', FirstName 'Sebastian', LastName 'Nowacki' }} ,
insert Problem rel { tup { Problem# '095a' , DR 6 , Month 'January' , Year '2013' ,
NumberOfComposers NumberOfComposers from tuple from ( DTYprob where DTY# = 123 ) } } ,
delete DTYcomposer where DTY# = 123,
update DTYprob where ( DTY# = 123 ) ( NumberOfComposers := 0 ) ,
insert DTYforCP rel{tup{DTY# 123, Problem# '095a'}};

insert ComposedBy ( extend DTYcomposer where DTY# = 123 add ( '095a' AS Problem# ) ) { all but DTY# } ,
insert Problem rel { tup { Problem# '095a' , DR 6 , Month 'January' , Year '2013' ,
NumberOfComposers NumberOfComposers from tuple from ( DTYprob where DTY# = 123 ) } } ,
delete DTYcomposer where DTY# = 123,
update DTYprob where ( DTY# = 123 ) ( NumberOfComposers := 0 ) ,
insert DTYforCP rel{tup{DTY# 123, Problem# '095a'}};

Hugh Darwen
Dave
Site Admin

Re: multiple assignment problem

Post by Dave »

I'll dig into this tomorrow, and should have a solution in a few days.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

I've produced what I hope is a fix, but as the next Rel release requires DBE syntax, I've converted your database backup script to the new syntax. Both multiple assignments result in the following:

ERROR: Update will cause CONSTRAINT RightNumberOfComposers to fail.

It points to "insert DTYforCP rel {tup{DTY# 123, Problem# '095a'}};" as the failing update. Is this to be expected for the given data? I'd be inclined to assume not, but thought I'd best check.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

Please ignore my last post. There was still a bug, which I've now fixed. The problem with the first multiple assignment has been fixed in the soon-to-be-released version 1.0.10 update.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

The fix for this is now available in the version 1.0.10 update.